Click on the -/+ to zoom. Click and drag to move the map around.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Commuter

The move is complete! The house, not yet, but we are settling into West Medford nicely. We hear crickets at night, and the girls at the coffee shop gossip about the local church clergy and people say “Hi” when you pass them on the street. Evidently we moved to a small town....12 minutes by train outside of Boston.

That being said I am now a commuter. I have a train pass. I wave the train pass like it is a membership at an exclusive club, albeit one with pleather seats, grime covered windows and the ever-present smell of French fries.

Commuting on public transport is showing me a whole new side of the city. You meet all kinds of people. Most are in suits, going to office jobs. There are heaps of students, it is Boston after all. Then you have the people who come to busk, panhandle or just otherwise be part of the chaos.

My favorite today is a singer at Downtown Crossing:

"Jesus is on the red line, baby. Tell him what you need."

And in fact getting on the orange line, I did not meet Jesus. Hope you guys on the red had the promised luck.

Smile big. :)

1 comments (click to view/add):

Cecilia Lehmann said...

Dear T&C,

It was great meeting you two in Cape Cod a few weeks ago >sigh<... I notice here that your travel line thingy last skimmed past Mother Africa; change that, will you? Yes I am hinting. Thank you.

Cecilia